If there’s one thing that everyone in my life knows about me, it’s that I love organization. And because of that, I feel the need to record the workouts I do so I can easily go back and take a look at how hard I worked, how far I’ve come and where I need to work harder. Over the years, I’ve tried out many different methods of keeping track of these details and still haven’t quite found just ONE solution that will do everything I need.
Here is my system right now:
- I use my Polar Ft 4 to track how many calories I’ve burned and how long I’ve been working out
- From there, once my workout is completed, I record the numbers in a notebook
- I also record all of my weight-lifting activities (reps, pounds, type of exercise) in this notebook
- However, I don’t stop there – I ALSO have experimented with numerous phone apps to do my tracking for me. Right now I’m using Cardio Trainer, which records pretty much everything I need to keep track of, except for specific weight lifting activities.
- And to top it off, occasionally I’ll plan out my workouts in advance on my google calendar
I’d love to be able to consolidate all of my tracking within one app, but every one I’ve tried seems to make it really difficult to record different weight machines. I’m ridiculously picky when it comes to organizational apps. Sometimes I think I should just create them myself – that way they’ll have EVERYTHING I need! (Trust me, I’ve actually considered doing this). Pen and paper always seems to be the quickest, easiest way to do what I need, but then it’s harder to get stats and see trends.
So, I must ask you – what do you use to track your workouts?