This survey has been floating around in blog land this week, so I thought I’d give it a go. Take it yourself too, if you’re interested!
1. What did you do in 2012 that you’d never done before?
Went on a trip to Vegas!
2. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
I kept my resolution to pay off my debt (this was the biggest one, so it was also the most important), but I failed in losing weight (instead I gained – doh!).
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
Blog friends, but not really anyone IRL.
4. Did anyone close to you die?
5. What countries did you visit?
I traveled a lot, but everything took place in the U.S. Nothing international this year!
6. What would you like to have in 2013 that you didn’t have in 2012?
By the end of 2013, I’d like to have a house. That’s something I’ve NEVER had (on my own) before!
7. What dates from 2012 will be etched upon your memory, and why?
November 30 – paying off debt
8. What was your biggest achievement of this year?
This one is easy, and I bet you’re getting tired of hearing this one, but I paid off my student loans!
9. What was your biggest failure?
My weight/fitness. I worked out a lot all year long, but I ate and drank too much and put on too much weight.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
11. What was the best thing you bought?
I don’t remember if this actually was purchased at the tail end of 2011 or the beginning of 2012, but my best purchase in recent memory was my roomba! We have 1100 square feet of carpet in our apartment and it used to take forever and ever to vacuum it all. Now I can just push a button and go do something else. So awesome. I highly recommend a roomba to anyone out there who is reading.
12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
D for getting As in all his classes that he’s taking right now, and my family for working hard all year long.
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
Pretty much everyone in the news these days – it was a year full of tragedies, wasn’t it?
14. Where did most of your money go?
Loan payments, car payments, vacations.
15. What did you get really excited about?
Vegas was exciting, but I got the most excited about Disney World. There’s just something about going there that fills me with magic and child-like wonder. It will never get old, no matter how many times we go.
16. What song will always remind you of 2012?
Oh boy, there are so many. I will say “Believe” by Arashi.
17. Compared to this time last year, are you: a) happier or sadder? b) thinner or fatter? c) richer or poorer?
Happier, fatter, richer
18. What do you wish you’d done more of?
Exercising, spending time with friends and family
19. What do you wish you’d done less of?
Overeating/overdrinking, getting upset over stupid things
20. How will you spend Christmas?
I spent it the way we always do – lots of family time at my mother’s house and my aunt’s house. Also, lots of food.
21. Did you fall in love in 2012?
I’ve been in love for a while, so this is not a new thing for 2012.
22. What was your favorite TV program?
This was the year of trashy reality TV, which helped my mind unwind after frying my brain everyday staring at code at the office. Funny story: on the way home from Vegas, we had TVs because we flew Jetblue. I’ve been developing a fear of flying for some reason over the past few years and the ride home was really turbulent and awful. I was desperately flipping channels and trying to find something, ANYTHING to distract me for the 5+ hours we were in the air and I stumbled on to the Real Housewives of the OC, a show I had never seen before. And I just became hooked! Along with Real Housewives, Dance Moms became another favorite this year.
23. What was the best book you read?
I didn’t read much (though I started many books), but I did just finish “Billions and Billions” by Carl Sagan, and that was pretty great.
24. What was your greatest musical discovery?
I just flipped through all my playlists of the past year, and strangely, all of my favorites were bands I didn’t discover this year, but that have been in my musical repertoire for quite some time. So, I will just tell you my favorites of the past year, even though they’re not new discoveries: Arashi, Owl City, Nicki Minaj
25. What did you want and get?
26. What did you want and not get?
More free time
27. What was your favorite film of 2012?
My favorite films of the year did not come out in 2012, but were ones we watched that are somewhat older. I loved all the horror movies from Halloween, and my favorite would probably be Alien.
28. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
Well, it fell on a work day, so I went to work, but afterward, D and I went out to dinner and he showered me with presents. Also, the weekend before we had a party with my family. I was 29.
29. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
Being able to sit back once in a while and stop all the to-do lists.
30. How would you describe your personal fashion concept of 2012?
I would describe it as “purple”
31. What kept you sane?
The blog, Just Dance, being able to come home for lunch most days and relax for an hour during my really stressful work days.
32. What political issue stirred you the most?
I try to avoid politics as much as humanly possible because there is nothing but nastiness there. If I had to pick one thing, it would be the election.
33. Who did you miss?
I think I was able to see everyone this year that is important to me.
34. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2012.
Things are not always as bad as they seem – try not to freak out so much.
35. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.
This is an old(er) song, but I listened to it a lot this year (especially toward the end of the year) as motivation:
Don’t let nobody tell you
Your life is over
Be every color that you are
Into the rush now
You don’t have to know how
Know it all before you try