I don’t know about all of you, but I’m a huge fan of Chipotle and their legendary burrito bowls. I always get mine loaded up with rice, beans, fajita veggies, corn, sour cream, cheese, two kinds of salsa and a big scoop of guacamole. The only unfortunate thing is that it’s not super easy to get to Chipotle from where we live. It’s not exactly far, just in an inconvenient location with lots of crazy merges and crazy drivers. Thus, over the past few months, I’ve started making my own burrito bowls at home. It’s super easy and very flexible because you can throw in anything you have on hand that sounds delicious at the time.
Last night was the first time I’ve ever convinced D to join me in having a burrito bowl for dinner. Here’s what we did:
My base recipe for a vegetarian:
1. Saute some soy chorizo (or any other meat substitute of choice – but soy chorizo is very delicious!) until warmed through and slightly browned. I don’t usually add anything to it because it’s already so well spiced.
2. Add one serving of the cooked soy chorizo to a bowl while you assemble your other ingredients.
3. Sprinkle a generous helping of shredded cheese on top. I popped mine in the microwave for a few seconds here to help encourage some cheese melting action.
4. Top with some homemade guacamole (For 2 people, my guacamole includes 1 avocado, 1 clove of garlic, half of a tomato and some lime juice, salt and pepepper).
5. Add salsa
6. And a dollop of sour cream
Other great topping ideas: corn, black beans, lettuce, peppers, onions
For the non-vegetarian:
The only step that changes is #1. Instead of soy chorizo, D went with ground beef, sauteed with a little salt and pepper to taste. No oil added for the saute portion of the recipe, just a little cooking spray. D also opted to have a few tortilla chips crumbled on top for some crunch.
This meal is the perfect example of how a vegetarian and a non-vegetarian can have a dinner together without much extra effort. We both thoroughly enjoyed our meals – both were filling and satisfying.
Friday blog hopping!