The Depths of Winter

by Lisa on Friday: Jan 25, 2013

This week has been a tough one, and not only because of all the reasons I anticipated over the weekend. Work has been tough, our schedules have been all over the place, and to make things even harder, the weather has been the worst it’s been in a very long time.

Let’s be real – it’s the fourth week of January and we’ve already been experiencing winter weather for almost 4 months, and there’s still several more months to go. It’s natural at this time of year to get REALLY SICK of the cold and snow, and guess what? I think I’ve just arrived there. Two days ago, it was so cold outside that when I woke up and checked the weather on my phone it was only 2 degrees with a windchill of -20. -20!! I don’t think I’ve seen a wind chill like that in years. I walk to work, so this was a miserable commute and the rest of the week really didn’t get significantly warmer. I wore every piece of winter attire I had and still felt like I was going to get frostbite by the time I got to the office each day.

Aside from how painful it is to go outside right now (even for a quick errand), these cold temps and winter doldrums can wreak havoc on a person’s motivation. Luckily I had bootcamp starting this week which gave me a nice kick in the butt to keep going, but getting home at night after freezing all day – all I want to do is hunker down on the couch under some blankets and not move.

In other, more motivating news, here are the results of my bootcamp workout from a few days ago. Seeing these numbers (especially the calories burned!) really makes me happy that I pushed myself and worked hard:

How do you deal with the winter doldrums?

8 Responses to “The Depths of Winter”

1. Great job on the workout!

I haven’t lived in cold weather in over 20 years, so I don’t have any great advice. Sounds like the bootcamp couldn’t have come at a better time!

Have a great weekend!

2. Meagan says:

Way to go on the workout! It’s been cold here too, but only down into single digits with the windchill. I know what you mean about getting home from work and just wanting to crawl under some blankets, though. It takes a lot of will power to do otherwise, so great job!

Just keep on truckin’… Spring is getting closer every day 🙂

Thanks for the comment!

3. Emily says:

Yay for a fantastic bootcamp workout and way to push through the challenges! 474 calories is AWESOME and HUGELY motivating!!!

Honestly, the way I deal with the winter doldrums is to start planning for my next vacation, my next race, or my next endeavor (improv classes! cooking classes!). For me, it’s all about having something to look forward to, no matter how small!

4. Renae says:

Good job on the workout. I wish I would have wore my heart rate monitor to the class. I know that I was literally dripping sweat only 15 minutes into the workout. I really enjoyed the body pump class.

5. Arrienne says:

I completely agree with you on the miserable weather!! It has been the worst and I can’t believe you walk to work. That is amazing and really hard right now! Your bootcamp sounds awesome and I’m jealous of all your planned meals. I spend way to long before work getting my lunch ready. Look forward to hearing about your bootcamp workouts:)

6. Amber says:

We don’t get snow where I live, it rained a few weeks ago but it has been super cold. Tonight I was at a local pool that’s outdoors, the pool is heated though. I try to get in the best spirt I can. I prep by taking extra warm towels and warm clothes to change into so I’m more likely to go!

7. Way to go on the bootcamp workout, that sounds intense! I feel you on the winter doldrums. ENOUGH! And it isn’t even February yet, ugh. I just try to remind myself that even if it’s painful to get out the door to run/workout, I never regret doing it and that seems to help.

Very good point about never regretting doing a workout after the fact!