Setbacks

by Lisa on Thursday: Jan 31, 2013

I was rolling along pretty well with my bootcamp workouts until a couple of days ago. I worked out on Monday night and felt fine afterward. Then on Tuesday, out of the blue in the middle of the work day, my hip started killing me. I was basically limping all over the office and with every step, I felt a shooting pain from my hip down my leg. Not good. At all. I knew I had to, at the very least, abandon my plans for a workout that night. The pain lasted all night, not getting any better.

I made the executive decision that I would take a few days off of the program to rest it and to make sure to avoid further damaging whatever was wrong. I decided to work from home yesterday and today (I knew it wouldn’t be a good idea to be walking back and forth to the office, plus that meant I could sit and ice it for most of the day).

Luckily, it is starting to feel better. It hasn’t hurt as much as it did on Tuesday since then. I frankly have no idea what I did to it or why it didn’t start hurting until the middle of the next day, but injuries are never fun things to deal with.

It can be pretty discouraging to deal with a setback like this, especially when I was seeing some good progress up to this week. This is now my third day off from working out and I know I’m falling a little bit behind on the Fitmixer program, but I have to keep reminding myself that this is the right/safest thing to do. I’m pretty big on momentum and consistency, so I’m just hoping this doesn’t throw me off too much!

My tentative plan is to wake up tomorrow morning before work and try out the next Fitmixer workout. If anything hurts, I’ll modify it or skip the step. If all goes well, I’ll do the next two workouts over the weekend and try to catch up on what I missed.

Have you every dealt with a workout injury?

11 Responses to “Setbacks”

1. Anyone who trains a lot will have to learn to deal with injuries. Being cautious and taking time off is always the smart but hard decision.

It’s definitely a hard decision, but it would certainly be worse if the injury got more severe. That’s what I’m keeping in mind as well.

2. Oh yeah, I hear you on the injury front. I messed up my knees all sorts of bad last week and they aren’t recovering as quick as I’d like. I hate not having control over things like that! I hope you start to feel better soon!

3. Betsy says:

I had a nagging hamstring for a while; I hated that it put me
    off of running. I would run half a block and want to be done.
    I never want to endure that crap again.

Injuries are definitely no fun. I’m glad to hear your hamstring is okay now though!

4. I think anybody who has worked out for an extended period of time has dealt with an injury. The best thing to do is allow it to heal. That being said, I had a hip injury for a long time. I ignored it because it wasn’t terrible. Before I knew it the pain was shooting into my groin, quad and butt cheek and I was in pyhsical therapy for 6 months.

Hips (especially for woman) can cause a lot of issues. I’ve learned out to properly stretch and strengthen them to avoid the issue.

5. Christina says:

You’re definitely doing the smart thing! As a nurse, I’ve seen so many who just keep pushing it. Pain is the body’s way of saying something is amiss. You’ll be back on schedule in no time!

6. jan says:

Aww, bummer! Injuries are the worst. It’s definitely smart to take a rest. I had an injury in the fall and the doctor suggest I take a week off, and thought I’d die, but of course it was fine. Hope you feel better soon!

7. Dagmar says:

Not yet – I had knee pain and shin splints that went away on their own when my legs got used to the running.
    It’s a good thing you listen to your body – and a couple of days off won’t hurt your form!

The days off did help a lot. I’m trying to make sure I listen to my body. It’s great that your leg pain went away – I guess sometimes there’s just an adjustment period!