The Couple That Planks Together

by Lisa on Monday: Feb 18, 2013

Ever since I started doing the Fitmixer bootcamp workouts, I’ve been excited to see that I’m actually gaining some upper body strength. If you’ve been around here for a while, you’ll recall that last year I embarked on the 100 pushup challenge. Before I did that, I wasn’t even able to do more than a few pushups on my knees. I didn’t finish the whole program, but I did get up to 70 or 80 pushups by the time I stopped, but even then they were still knee pushups. D would challenge me to try doing a “real” pushup and I would basically splat flat on my face during the first one.

Despite not being able to do a pushup on my toes, I did start seeing some arm muscles for pretty much the first time in my life. It was so motivating! Now that I’m in the thick of bootcamp, I’ve been challenged to do not only pushups on my toes, but ridiculous variations on pushups that I never even knew existed. Not to mention all the other creative exercises that work out the entire remainder of my body.

Well, you can imagine my excitement when a few weeks ago, I found that I was able to do toe pushups for the first time in my life! I had to show off to D that I was finally able to do one (and more than one at that), and it certainly felt good to overcome that obstacle.

In the past week or so, the two of us have started doing a little something together while we’re watching TV and just hanging out at night. We do pushups and planks together! Usually, we’ll just be standing around chatting or in the kitchen together, and out of the blue, one of us will say “let’s go do some pushups!”. We’ll usually start with around 10 and keep challenging each other to do more.

And now, we’ve started adding planks! D had never done planks before, and I’ve been going on and on lately about how good they are for your core (and how HARD they are, despite their appearance). It certainly pushes the both of us to do this kind of thing together, because we get competitive and encourage each other to keep on going when we want to stop.

Do you ever work out with your significant other?

8 Responses to “The Couple That Planks Together”

1. Allison says:

This is great! My boyfriend and I don’t work out together, but we really just should.

2. Kim says:

My husband and I don’t work out together. We have different concepts about working out (which is fine) – I’m just happy that he does work-out, too!
    Your bootcamp sounds a little like P90X (especially P90X2) with all of the really hard push-up variations!! I think those programs are what finally got me up on my toes for push-ups!!!

3. Ginny Marie says:

My husband and I don’t work out together, but it sounds like a great idea!

Thanks for joining my Monday blog hop! 🙂

4. lisa says:

When I saw the title of your post I have to admit that I thought you were talking about “planking”. LOL I think it’s awesome that you and your guy challenge each other like that! It’s awesome to have someone to help push you that extra bit!

Lisa
    P.S. Thanks for linking up to the GtKY weekend blog hop! 🙂

5. jan says:

This gives me hope because I cannot do a real pushup in good form to save my life. I’ll have to work toward it. I do not work w/ my hubby except for when he takes pity on me and runs just to be nice. He’s waaaaay faster than I am. I fact, it’s pretty painful for him to run at my speeds.

6. Brittany says:

I loveee working out with my boyfriend. We run together a lot, but occasionally switch it up!

7. Lol – my ex and I used to plank together (I always beat him) and run together. When I start dating again it’s a requirement that they like exercising with me!

8. Well, you had to start somewhere right? That’s awesome that you have made such progress. I was a gymnast. We didn’t do knee push ups so I’ve always done them on the toes. I’m not sure how many I can do though!! I’ll have to find out.