Knowing When to Take A Rest Day

by Lisa on Thursday: Feb 28, 2013

I have to be honest: my last few bootcamp workouts have left me in PAIN. And I’m not talking about the kind of next day muscle soreness that secretly makes you happy because you know you did something good for yourself. No, this kind of soreness makes it feel like I can’t walk or bend down to pick things up. The workouts themselves haven’t seemed especially hard in and of themselves (at least no more-so than any of the others), and I’ve even been modifying a few things here and there to accommodate my current fitness level (for example, instead of doing dive bombers, converting them into regular pushups).

On top of having this issue with my workouts this week, work has continued to be a stressful mess and I’m sure that’s not helping things. So today, instead of doing the next workout on the bootcamp agenda, I just did 35 minutes of Just Dance-ing. Also, after dealing with the work stress and it seeming never-ending, a few weeks ago, I put in to have today and tomorrow off. The timing for these off days couldn’t possibly have been any better. Today, I didn’t do a whole lot, and that was exactly what I needed. I slept in, cleaned the apartment, did our food shopping and just generally relaxed.

Sometimes you have to listen to your body (and your emotions!) and just do something relaxing. It does us no good to burn out either from workouts, work, or just in general by putting too much pressure on ourselves.

In my spare time, I’ve also been catching up with episodes of the Biggest Loser on Demand. Is anyone else watching this season? I hadn’t seen a single episode of this season until yesterday and now I find myself hooked again, just like what happens every other year. Even though the people on that show have their weight loss journies pushed to the extreme (and sometimes it’s questionable whether it’s healthy for them to push that hard), it’s still pretty inspiring and makes me want to get up and work.

Tomorrow I’ll see how I feel, and if the soreness in my legs is better, maybe I’ll attempt the next bootcamp workout. If not, I’ll just do some more dancing, and spend a lot of time reading/playing video games and trying my hardest to RELAX!

————-

In other, very sad news, my dad’s cousin passed away this morning. He was suffering a lot, and at least he’s no longer in pain. We’ll likely be attending the wake sometime next week.

13 Responses to “Knowing When to Take A Rest Day”

1. Meagan says:

Sounds like a rest is just what you needed! I’m glad you were able to take a break from the stresses of work, as well. Hope it leaves you feeling relaxed and refreshed!

I’m also watching the Biggest Loser this season, and as usual I’m hooked too. I haven’t watched this week’s episode, yet!

It seems like it’s impossible to watch an episode of the Biggest Loser and not get hooked! There’s just something about it.

2. Sorry about you family’s loss. Rest days are certainly good things. It’s always a good balance to know when to push and then when you have just had too much and need a break. I am hooked this season on TBL, but a little behind on episodes.

Thank you for your thoughts. As for TBL, I hadn’t seen a single episode this season until a few days ago and then I flew through every single one that was available on demand.

3. sometimes a day of doing nothing is needed for you mind, body and soul. so good for you for taking the time!
    I just caught up on the last two episodes of The Biggest Loser, since I missed them while on vacation. I am definitely hooked! so if you ever need someone to gab with about the show, i’m your girl! lol
    Also, I am sorry for your loss, its never easy <3

I’m sure I’ll be watching every episode of Biggest Loser now until the end of the season. It’s just so addictive!

4. I’m so sorry about your dad’s cousin =/

5. angie says:

a break always helps refresh and allows us to start again another time
    come visit me at http://shopannies.blogspot.com

6. Hi Lisa, I just found your blog and love it, especially your picture of Lisa from the Simpsons…too funny!
    Also, sorry for the loss in your family!

7. Rach says:

I haven’t seen any of this season of Biggest Loser, but I’m sure I’d be hooked if I started it too. That always seems to happen, haha! But some of their stories are just so inspiring! And hey, sorry about the family loss. I know that is never easy.

8. I used to struggle with the idea of rest days – I wanted to be active every day! – but now I really grasp their importance. I still struggle a bit, but feel so much better for having a day a week where I do no structured exercise. I think they’re an important part of any training plan 🙂

9. Colleen says:

Ahhhh such a relevant post. I’m dying for a rest day, but don’t have one in sight until April 13! Crazy!! I teach group ex all day everyday. Good for you for listening to your body and modifying your workout. I love TBL! Sorry for you fam’s loss.

10. Rest is so important. I like to do active rest -yoga – once a week. That may even help with the soreness from your bootcamp workouts.