Signs of Spring

by Lisa on Saturday: Mar 09, 2013

It’s been a long, hard winter around here. I started drafting this post 2 days ago and unbeknownst to me, we were about to get another foot of snow dumped on us. The weathermen got the forecast all wrong and everyone was caught off guard. Thankfully, today it’s 45 degrees and everything is melting nicely.

snow - the day after

I’m sure we haven’t seen the last of the snow, but I have been seeing subtle signs lately that spring is coming. We’ve had a string of days in the 40s, a lot (but not all) of the snow has melted and the happiest sight: the Canadian geese are coming out of hiding.

We have a large number of these little guys that live in and around the tiny lakes that surround our apartment complex and the office park that connects to it, and when the weather isn’t terrible, they’re always out there. They don’t seen to migrate away for the winter, and they certainly don’t seem to be afraid of snow, ice or cold.

geese1

The other day on my walk home from work, there were about 10 of them swimming around in the half-frozen pond right next to my office. Half the pond was still solid ice, but the other half had melted back into water. They were swimming in the water part peacefully and happily, despite the fact that the water must have been a freezing temp. I wish I had taken a pic of that sight – these pics are all from last year, but that doesn’t make them any less cute.

geese2

geese3

(Look at them with their babies! So adorable.)

I’m really crossing my fingers that we get some good weather soon so it can start motivating me a little more than the frequent blizzards have been.

Are you getting any spring weather yet where you live?

15 Responses to “Signs of Spring”

1. Betsy says:

I live south of Fresno CA, and we’ve had way too much Spring weather around here; last weekend was in the low 80s! Yuck!

2. Meagan says:

Those baby geese are cute, but I don’t like geese in general! They used to invade our soccer fields when I was a kid and leave poop everywhere!

We’ve had some spring weather today. It started out at 27 degrees this morning but warmed up to 58 this afternoon! We may even see temp’s in the 60′s tomorrow. Much nicer change from earlier in the week when it was in the low 20′s with 50+ mph winds and rain/sleet!

3. Amy says:

How cute those babies are!

That is so much snow. We probably haven’t received a foot in the past five years combined snowfall where I live. I hope spring arrives soon!

4. Looking at your duck pictures got me excited, spring is just around the corner and I cannot wait! Let’s just say me + cold weather are not friends! Sending you sunshine and summer fun!! Love + Shine Courtstar

5. I too am from a warm climate so we get signs of spring all the time before it comes. It was a really chilly weekend which for us is 50′s 60′s. Hope the snow melts soon! I think everyone is ready.

I couldn’t possibly be more ready for spring! Even the high 40s now is making me happy because at least it’s not freezing anymore!

6. Rosey says:

There’s some at our local park and they have babies too. The babies grow so fast, don’t they???

Today’s like Spring here, which is funny because Friday morning it was like we were living on an iceberg. ;)

Visiting today from Super Sunday Sync.

7. colleen says:

Sweet babies!! We have about 30 of those geese that live in the pond behind my house. Their babies are finally being born as well as some baby Mallards. The baby animals are always a sign that spring is coming!

8. I’m so ready for the warm weather! At least it’s March :)

9. Although we had a big snow storm last week here in Chicago, all the snow has melted away and the temperatures are up in the 40s and 50s this week. I’m hoping this means spring is here!

10. Kim says:

Boo to the snow!
    Love the ducks (geese? Whichever!) We live by a lake and I saw a duck walking down the street the other day!
    Ready for warmth & spring!!!

11. Angela says:

I was actually disappointed with the weather this winter. I just moved to a town that normally gets tons of snow and we barely had 1 good snowfall this year. I mean, it could still happen…but not likely. Those geese used to chase us when we were little at soccer practices. They can be feisty.. watch out! :)

12. Rachel says:

Yay for ducks! We don’t really have winter here, in fact, some ducks and geese come to us in Huntington Beach for the winter. :)
    New follower from the blog hop here, and I look forward to reading your future posts!
    XO, Rachel