The other night I had a craving for stuffed peppers, something I’ve rarely had and never made. But knowing that peppers are one of my favorite vegetables, I decided to get a little creative in the kitchen and the results were delicious!
- 4 medium/large green peppers
- 1 package of tempeh
- 2-3 cloves of garlic
- half of a large onion
- 1/4 cup of breadcrumbs
- 1/2 of a 15oz can of crushed tomatoes
- 2-3 tablespoons of parmesan cheese
- Dried basil
1. Cut the tops off of each of the green peppers and scoop out all seeds. Trim off a little bit of the bottom of the peppers so they’ll stand up without falling over.
2. Prepare the tempeh, either by chopping it up finely or running it through a cheese grater, depending on how large you want the pieces to be. I went the chopping route for simplicity.
3. Dice the onion and throw it into a skillet along with the tempeh, along with 1-2 teaspoons each of paprika and basil, if using, and some salt and pepper.
4. Mince the garlic and add to the saute pan
5. Let the mixture cook until the tempeh just slightly starts to brown and the onions get a little soft: 6-8 minutes
6. Transfer the tempeh mixture into a large bowl. Add the crushed tomatoes and breadcrumbs and combine. If it’s looking a little too dry, add some more of the crushed tomatoes.
7. Scoop the tempeh mixture into each of the 4 peppers and place on a foil-lined square pan. Top with as much parmesan cheese as you like
8. Cook at 375 degrees for around 50 minutes, until the peppers are tender.
9. Serve and enjoy! Top with additional leftover crushed tomatoes and parmesan, if desired.