This past weekend my husband and I headed down to New York City for the long weekend. We had a great time and I’m going to do the recap Thinking Out Loud style.
- The main reason for this trip was to see the Perfume concert. Perfume is a J-Pop group that we’ve both been fans of for several years. They specialize in electronic-style pop and add in a lot of cool technology to their shows. The show was amazing and well worth the trip. I don’t know how they’re able to dance in those high heels for two hours straight!
- Perfume was playing at the Hammerstein Ballroom on 34th street, and this was the second time we’ve seen them perform there.
- When we went to their concert last time, we stayed at a hotel that was literally next door to the concert venue. Because of the extreme convenience, we decided to stay there again. The hotel is the Wyndham New Yorker, which unfortunately isn’t my favorite. The rooms are very tiny and they don’t really have many amenties, not to mention the age of the hotel makes it feel a bit rustic. I’ve found that it’s quite difficult to find a nice hotel room in the city in general, so we take what we can get.
- The first night we were there we had a nice Italian dinner at Casa Nonna which was a few blocks from where we were staying. I found it randomly while searching nearby restaurants on Google maps. I had a spaghetti dish with marinara sauce, tomatoes, basil and garlic. Delicious!
- On day 2 of the trip, we had reserved tickets to see a small gallery exhibit that was featuring Perfume for the weekend. The gallery was displaying all sorts of fashion featured in Perfume’s music videos and concerts as well as some of the technology they use as well. It was a nice complement to the show.
- Threats of Hurricane Hermine followed us the whole weekend. On the drive down, it seemed like we were heading directly into the path of the storm, and every few hours a news alert would be issued on my phone from Weatherbug. However, we didn’t see a drop of rain the entire weekend. Definitely a false alarm.
- On the second day, we decided to just go wandering a little further uptown, so we meandered through the streets of Times Square and slightly north of the area. I’m not sure what was going on there, but it seemed to be some kind of Brazilian festival. There was some awesome live music being played and tons of food tents and vendors selling hand made goods. It went on for blocks and blocks. It was cool to stumble on something like that!
- In the evening after we finished our exploring and dining, we settled into the room with some wine and watched random movies on TV. This trip, we happened to catch the two most recent Muppets movies. They were surprisingly funny!
- Another very New York thing we ended up doing: eating $1 pizza slices on the side of the street! We had walked by this pizza shop earlier in the trip, and the food just smelled amazing. It was kind of fun to just stand up at one of the outdoor tables and watch people walk by as we ate. New York pizza is the best.
- The drive to New York generally takes us about 4.5 hours, which used to seem like a long drive, but now goes by pretty fast. Thankfully D is okay with doing the city driving when we arrive (we usually drive to our hotel and then keep the car in a lot until we’re ready to go back home). I’m a fairly nervous driver as it is and I can’t imagine navigating the streets of NYC in a car myself!
Have you ever been to NYC? What’s your favorite thing to do there?
What destinations are within driving distance of where you live?